Abingdon Police Department
For Immediate Release
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016, at approximately 3:50 PM, an Abingdon Police officer was dispatched to the 500 block of West Main Street for a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle. Upon arrival, the officer discovered a male pedestrian had been struck while crossing at the crosswalk located at Patton Street. The pedestrian was transported via ambulance to Johnston Memorial Hospital with unknown injuries. The incident is still under investigation.
With the warmer weather and more pedestrians out, the APD wants to remind the public about pedestrian safety. Here are some helpful hints to remember:
· Always cross at marked crosswalks. Pedestrians forfeit their rights as a pedestrian if they cross elsewhere.
· If a crosswalk is unavailable, be sure to find a well-lit spot on the road to cross and wait for a long enough gap in traffic to make it safely across the street.
· Stay on sidewalks whenever possible. If a sidewalk is not available, be sure to walk on the far side of the road facing traffic. This will help increase your visibility to drivers and afford pedestrians with the opportunity to take evasive actions if needed.
· Obey any pedestrian signs/signals and look left-right-left to make sure the road is clear in both directions before crossing.
· Always make eye contact with drivers of stopped or slowing vehicles to be sure they see you before you cross.
· Look before walking past stopped vehicles. Do not cross just because a driver waves you on. Be sure all lanes are clear first.
· Remember that vehicles are legally obligated to stop for pedestrians once you are in the crosswalk. Do not infer that drivers have to stop simply because you are standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross.
· Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and at intersections.
· Be prepared to stop at all marked crosswalks. Stay alert and reduce speed in areas with crosswalks.
· Come to a complete stop if pedestrians are crossing or preparing to cross.
· When you are stopped at a crosswalk, allow enough room between your vehicle and the crosswalk so other drivers can see the pedestrians you have stopped for.
· Limit distractions while driving, such as eating, smoking, and using the cell phone.