Abingdon Police Department
For Immediate Release
Permanent stop signs have been installed at the intersection of Russell Road and Valley Street, making this intersection a three-way stop. The APD would like to remind motorists about the rules of the road as they apply to “all stop” intersections:
• Whichever car stops first, normally goes first.
If yours is the second car to arrive, you should be the second to go (and so on.) It doesn’t matter at this point which direction the cars are going or who is on the right or left; simply go in order of arrival.
• Always try to establish eye contact with other drivers at a three-way stop.
Once you make eye contact, check the roads to insure that it is safe to proceed through the intersection. Don’t be anxious, but do check and be prepared to act. Realize that there are other ways to avoid collisions besides slowing down or slamming on your brakes. In certain instances you could avoid collisions by accelerating to get out of the way or by simply not moving.
• If two cars arrive at the same time, yield to the car to your right.
• If you stop at the same time as another car, left-turning cars should yield to cars going straight.
• If you stop at the same time as another car, left-turning cars should yield to right-turning cars, allowing the intersection to clear quickly.
As a reminder, all vehicles must come to a complete stop at the intersection. Failure to do so is a violation of § 46.2-830 of the Code of Virginia, which states that all drivers shall obey lawfully, erected traffic control devices. A conviction of this statute is punishable by a fine and three points on your driving record.