Abingdon Police Department
For Immediate Release
This Saturday, May 27th, 2017, is the 35th Annual Kiwanis Plumb Alley Day event in Abingdon, VA. The Abingdon Police Department wants to remind the community and visitors of parking restrictions. Like most tourist communities, Abingdon has several parking restrictions that you should be aware of, to avoid violating any of the parking provisions and subjecting yourself to an unwanted fine.
To assist you in planning your visit, the following parking restrictions are provided for your information.
In the Town of Abingdon, it is unlawful to:
1. Park Overtime – OVERTIME parking is enforced Monday-Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm. It is NOT enforced on weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
2. Block a driveway.
3. Park so the parked vehicle partially blocks a driveway.
4. Block an intersection.
5. Park so the parked vehicle encroaches an intersection.
6. Park in a space designated by signage as a “Bus Stop.”
7. Park so that the left (driver’s) side of a vehicle is against the curbing of the roadway. This is commonly called “Parking Against the Traffic Flow” or “Parking Against the Flow” and is our most common violation.
8. Park in a loading zone.
9. Park in a space designated “No Parking.”
10. Park in any alley.
11. Park on a sidewalk.
12. Park so the vehicle occupies a portion of two marked parking spaces.
There are FREE public parking lots located at 208 West Main Street and 425 West Main Street.
The APD warmly welcomes your visit to our community. Abingdon thrives on tourism, and we hope that your visit will be greeted with smiling faces and a friendly atmosphere.