Abingdon Police Department
For Immediate Release
2017 Virginia Highlands Festival Information
The annual Virginia Highlands Festival will be held Friday, July 28th, 2017 through Sunday, August 6th, 2017 in Abingdon. The arts and crafts section of the festival has been moved to the Barter Green across from the Barter Theatre. Music events will be held at the Abingdon Market Pavilion on Remsburg Drive. The antiques market will be located at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center.
Road Closures for the event:
Partington Place at East Main Street will be closed each day from Main Street to the exit of the Martha Washington Inn's parking lot from 09:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. between July 28th and August 6th.
Remsburg Drive will be closed from the Farmer's Market to Cummings Street on the following dates and times:
· July 28th at 4:00 P.M. to July 30th at 11:00 P.M.
· August 1st at 4:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M.
· August 3rd at 4:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M.
· August 5th at 4:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M.
The Abingdon Police Department wants to remind festival visitors of parking restrictions. Like all t tourist communities, Abingdon has several parking regulations that you should be familiar with to avoid subjecting yourself to an unwanted fine.
To assist you in planning your visit, the following parking restrictions are provided for your information.
In the Town of Abingdon, it is unlawful to:
1. Park Overtime – OVERTIME parking is enforced Monday-Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm. It is NOT enforced on weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
2. Block a driveway.
3. Park so the parked vehicle partially blocks a driveway.
4. Block an intersection.
5. Park so the parked vehicle encroaches an intersection.
6. Park in a space designated by signage as a “Bus Stop.”
7. Park so that the left (driver’s) side of a vehicle is against the curbing of the roadway. This is commonly called “Parking Against the Traffic Flow” or “Parking Against the Flow” and is our most common violation.
8. Park in a loading zone.
9. Park in a space designated “No Parking.”
10. Park in any alley.
11. Park on a sidewalk.
12. Park so the vehicle occupies a portion of two marked parking spaces.
Parking will be limited and in high demand. Street parking is available at the municipal parking lot (across from Ellis Soda Shop) and is free to the public. However, these spaces will fill quickly. To accommodate visitors, there is free parking at Heartwood (exit 14) and at Roses (exit 19). A shuttle will run from the parking areas between 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. each day. You can avoid the traffic downtown by parking at Heartwood or Roses and taking the shuttle to event locations around Abingdon.
Coolers are not allowed inside the festival area.
The APD warmly welcomes your visit to our community. We hope that your visit will be greeted with smiling faces and a friendly atmosphere.